Sunday, May 15, 2011

Italy Bound

My dad had a saying, "Another New Experience." Every time we did something new and different, he would always end our experience with that line. And now...I am heading into yet 'Another New Experience'. Tomorrow morning, Kristen Gates, Cayla Gilbertson and myself are taking off for Italy. We are taking part in a May Term study abroad program that focuses on Art, History and Community Health. An adventure of a lifetime. My suitcase is packed and I think I have everything I need to be gone until June 2 (less than 24 hours before my daughter graduates from high school).

We will be in Rome starting May 17, where we will get a walking city tour through Rome. We'll tour the Forum and colosseum. I think I'm most excited our visit to the Vatican. I'm not Catholic, but I thinking this is going to truly be an amazing sight to behold.

On Monday, May 23, we'll head to Florence. On our way there, we will be taking a tour of the Castello Banfi winery. I hear this is going to be an fantastic spot to get pictures of the Tuscan landscape. In Florence, we will take walking tours to learn about the social, cutural, religious and political factors that shaped this "Renaissance Birthplace" and the health of the community. During our tour of Accademia, we will learn more about the David. We will get a tour of the Central Market and get to take a cooking class.

We will be guests of Elaine Poggi, who is the President and Founder of the Foundation of Photo/Art in Hospitals. The vision of the Foundation is to create a shift in the way people view hospitals, from cold and sterile to warm and welcoming with art and photos. Visit their website and check them out. Mrs. Poggi will take us on a tour of the Careggi Hospital.

Saturday, May 28th will be another amazing opportunity....a Tuscany Bike Tour. Can hardly wait to take a zillion pictures of EVERYTHING!!!

We finish up our trip in Venice, where we will adventure down the Grand Canal.

This trip will be the adventure of a lifetime. I'm ready.........ARE WE THERE YET???????
I'm hoping to blog about it while we are there...so bookmark this page and check back frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment