Monday, September 20, 2010

Autumn has arrived

SIGNS THAT AUTUMN HAS ARRIVED:
  • The air is crisp. 
  • The leaves are changing. 
  • The temps are dropping. 
  • The heat is on in the house.
I'm a stickler when it comes to the heat in our house. I try quite hard to make sure the heat doesn't come on until October (so much for that idea) and that it is set at a reasonable temp (no higher than 68). I always think we can throw on an extra shirt instead of spending the extra money on heat. My kids don't seem to mind too much. Sixty-eight degrees in our house can feel different depending on which floor you are on. My room is in the basement. It often feels colder than 68 down there. This is also my homework space and general TV area for the kids. I have a small space heater that I use on occasion to just take the chill out. 

I am aware that this is warmer than some houses are kept. I have friends who keep their house at 64. Whenever we go there, we know to wear a sweatshirt with multiple layers. =) Often times, it doesn't matter what the temp is...it's about the company we are with!

Autumn also means packing up all the summer fun. I still need to head to the cabin to winterize it. I need to get the boat moved around in the garage so that we can park two vehicles in there again. I REALLY need to move my lawn at least ONE more time. The saddest part for me is putting away my deck furniture. I enjoy spending time on the deck, whether it is reading, enjoying a good dinner off the grill or play with the dogs.

http://www.irongirl.com/Events/Bloomington.htm#axzz10525EHTv
I will officially end summer next Sunday (9/26). I am competing in the Aflac Iron Girl Duathlon in Bloomington, MN. It is a 2 mile run/22 mile bike ride/2 mile run. I spent many hours on my bike this summer. I'm ready for the bike part. The running.....that's is where I struggle. I'm not a runner. I dragged along my friend Jen on this journey, although we have been unable to train together. She's the runner. I'm the biker. If it was a relay, we'd do AWESOME! =) I'm not going for time. I'm going to simply push myself to do something I've never done before. The scary part is not knowing what to expect or what exactly will happen as this is my first race EVER! Adrenaline will kick in and I'll be excited once the race starts. The goal is to have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment