Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Walking Down Destiny's Path

Think back....can you pinpoint one specific event that changed your perception of the world around you, challenged you to think outside the box or pointed you in a direction you never would have thought to go? Ever thought an event happened for a reason? 

My life has been filled with plenty of life changing events. My parents divorced when I was quite young. I moved around a lot. I got new "bonus" parents. There was high school, new friends, those changes girls go through, boys...but the ones that have had the greatest impact on my life are these:
  • At 17, I became a mom.
  • At 19, I became a wife.
  • At 21, I became fatherless (my dad committed suicide).
  • At 23, I became a mom to a second child.
  • At 26, I became a member of a volunteer fire department.
  • At 27, I became a widow.
Some of these events filled me with great joy. There is nothing like welcoming beautiful little girls into the world and watching them grow up, marrying the 'boy' you knew you wanted to spend the rest of your life with or dedicating your time to your community as a volunteer.

On the flip side, there's nothing worse than watching your father, who was nicknamed "Mighty Mouse", battle depression and multiple health issues, wishing you could do something for him. In the end, he did what he felt was best for him. The important part was that he loved us deeply, regardless of what was going on in our lives and being at peace with the knowledge that there was nothing we could say or do that would have changed the outcome.

Losing a parent, at any age, is difficult. Losing a spouse....especially at such a young age seems unbelievable. Possibly making it more unbelievable is the fact that the accident that claimed the life of my husband happened while we were at the scene of a car fire on Interstate 35. A chain reaction accident that claimed the life of one, severely injured four, and left all that were there that day emotional scarred is something no one should witness.

Yet, I did. I am living today to share a story and to teach a lesson. In future blogs, I will be sharing more about my story and why the Ted Foss Move Over Law is so important to me. I encourage people to ask questions about the subject matter. Don't be afraid to make comments or worry about hurting my emotional state. I have been through it all and I will GLADLY share my story. It's part of my healing process. Sharing my story and teaching about this matter is my destiny! =)

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how the things in our lives that are the most painful and stressful (good or bad) can help us grow.

    My husband and I drove past an accident on 35 with someone down next to a car (covered up). When we got home, we learned that the person was hit and killed by a car while trying to help someone. That experience was chilling enough, so I can't imagine what it must be like for you to have someone you love be taken in that way. Perhaps this was the accident involving your husband? Forgive my candidness in asking, but you did say that we could ask questions.

    Very sorry for your losses. I lost my Dad when I was 22 to cancer and though it's not the same as a suicide...I understand what it means to lose a parent before your adult life really begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words Dana! My husband's accident was eight years ago and they did manage to get him to the hospital...where he died in surgery. The impact of the hit he sustained caused his aorta to rupture.

    I take the Ted Foss Move Over Law very seriously...which will be explained in more detail later. It's a topic EVERY driver should know about and should follow the law to a "T".

    Again, thank you for your kind words...and as I said...ask questions. I don't mind! =)

    ReplyDelete